Friday, October 9, 2009

Living Area for LIVING

In starting to gather accessories, figure furniture layout, and consider utilization of space in the living room, one question played over and over throughout my mind: "How will the space be used?" Endless hours of HGTV have taught me to really consider the purpose of the space, the regular and potential inhabitants, and how to trigger all of the senses.


I knew my hubby, Mr. Bartender, wanted a big entertainment system - surround sound, flat screen, game consoles, the works. He loves his video games and we both love movies, therefore a front-and-center view of the tv was key! But we also love to entertain. Nearly every weekend in the Spring and Summer we have family or friends stopping by. The living area needed to be arranged to promote conversation and comfort, while also allowing enough space for adults and kids to move around freely. Besides television access and room for guests, I also wanted to take advantage of the gorgeous bay window. With our tree-lined street, I felt this was a beautiful vocal point that should not become overrun by the interior. And so you have it:




I think we balanced the use of the space very well. I've kept the window open for clear view and we are able to fit quite a few people in here. During get-togethers, we usually remove the large ottoman and place it under the window - allowing for even more seating. We were considering getting rid of it for a while, and I'm very glad we didn't.




As much as possible I tried to include texture throughout the space. I have a warm, wool blanket over smooth, dark leather; perched on top of the natural wood we have a ceramic, geometric pattern. And of course, no room is complete without plant life!


In case you were wondering, the paint is a faux finish originally applied by the previous owner. It's very simple. I had to do some touch ups and was able to replicate it nearly perfectly, but that's a post for another day. The leather furniture is from Z Gallerie. The TV and surround sound system were installed by friends of Mr. Bartender. The TV stand is from Home Decorator's Collection and accessories throughout the room were purchased at Home Goods and Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment